Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tantrums & Fussing

My mom and dad were both old school but in different ways. They both had a few modern ideas too. They are divorced so house rules were different in each house but...Some modern things they did were:

Mom would apologize if she over reacted to a small mishap on my part. She also asked me why I did the deed I did. Other then that it was old school. My dad insisted on family meetings. Usually most of the lecture was him speaking but it did show me that he thought of me as a thinking and intelligent person and I sat there even if it last 2-3 hours. In the end I always knew that both parents favored smart kids and that is why they took the time to speak to me and my siblings.

They respected my thoughts and I respect theirs. Had they not listen to me, I don't think I would of listen to them. They thought me listening got you further in life then not listening.

I read an interesting article on Clever Parents. It involved the benefits of listening and how it relates to tantrums and fussing. My parents always tell me and my siblings that we were good kids and did not cause problems or fussed. Maybe it is because they listened when we needed them.

No comments: